The attainment levels were classified into three categories by the UNESCO:
- ISCED 0-2 means less than primary (0),primary (1) and lower secondary (2) education.
- ISCED 3-4 means upper secondary (3) and post-secondary non-tertiary (4) education.
- ISCED 5-8 means any kind of tertiary level degree.
Read more about the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED2011).
The ESLplus portal present data on the highest educational attainment level in two indicators from the Eurostat database:
- Population by educational attainment level, sex and age (year 15-64)
- Young people by educational attainment level, sex (year 15-29)
Data are available for both the total and youth population of different age groups and also for males and females separately. The source of this data is the Labour Force Survey (LFS).
The ESLplus statistics module only treats ISCED 0-2 (we called low educated young people) and ISCED 3-4 (we called medium educated young people) levels education. Higher level education degree means, that the young people are definitely not early school leavers, therefore those data are not available in the ESLplus database.
The age groups of youth are 15-19, 20-24 and 25-29; of the whole population are 15-64, 20-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64 which data are shown disaggregated by gender.